Friday, September 07, 2007

a new phase begins?

I wonder if God's trying to tell me something.

It was with a heavy heart that I took the train back to Tokyo after sending my parents off at the Kansai International on Wednesday. I was busy making sure my parents enjoyed themselves in Japan and that everything was in place that I somehow took for granted I had a place to stay in Tokyo. So on the way back, I was still trying to get a place to bunk in, but most either were staying with someone else, or had friends staying with them. I had some other choices but I wasn't comfortable because of personal reasons.

Finally I had to ask the company for help. The Prez was really kind enough to find me one, an apartment they rented for their partner in S'pore. I was really grateful because I was already so tired from all the travelling and had been in the Tokyo station for hours contacting everyone I knew. Internet here was expensive, Y100 for 10minutes! I also had to buy a phone card coz I think I blew the budget on my mobile bill. The partner was away, so I was allowed to stay for the night.

But I had to travel to Nerima to get my other luggage from a friend, and on the way back, it rained. I didn't have an umbrella with me, so luggage and I got wet. I was hoping the next day would be better. I finally got a place to stay with another friend, but because the apartment the company found for my 2nd lodging would cost Y7000 per day!

Because my friend would only be back after work, I decided to stay on till evening and cleaned up the company's apartment. Then I got a call from Yoko, Lenice's Jap friend telling me that a typhoon would hit Tokyo. I had to pack up quick, but the linen and towels were still in the washing machine.

Even though I talked to the Prez about staying for another night, I felt I shouldn't overstay as he was already nice enough to find me something so last minute. So I decided to bring all my luggage, brave through the rain and wind and shifted out, leaving the laundry still tumbling in the machine. I could come back the next day to check it out.

When I left the place, it was drizzling, but it began to get worse, and soon enough, strong gusts of wind swept through the area. It came in all directions, so having an umbrella only helped a little, if not made it even worse. I didn't have an umbrella the previous night, so I got really wet. I dreaded catching a cold at a time like this, so I took out the umbrella my mum gave me which I'd never used before.

As I was nearing the station, I got excited. I told myself, only a few 100m more to go. Suddenly out of nowhere winds blew from various directions, my umbrella flew away, the cap on my head flew along with it. I was all drenched, my umbrella broke and my cap got wet. Needless to say, all my luggage got wet too.


The umbrella I got from my mum just before I left for Japan, now rendered useless.


I quickly dragged everything to the station, envying the people who didn't get caught in the gust of wind that struck me where I walked. When I reached the station, almost everyone looked dry. Or at least, dryer than me! I looked as if I had just dragged my luggage through the shower room. I never felt so miserable before.

I had already said goodbye to the closest people to me, I had no home to come back to, and knowing that I will be moving at least 3 times before I find something permanent made me feel like a nomad. Yes, it will be at least that many times before we find someplace where I will stay for the longer term. Apparently, it takes weeks before a suitable place is found, according to my new colleague (whom I've never met before, btw!)

Anyways, a lot of other things are on my mind as well. Changes to be made to the alien registration card, opening a new bank account, insurance, trying to get a flight ticket back home, looking out for alternative accomodation and most importantly, finding a right church where I can belong.

But I have something more urgent to talk to God about. Those who knows about this, please pray along with me, I can't do this alone. I want to do the right thing, and do it right.

No comments: