Thursday, September 21, 2006

kyoukai kyanpu

After the amazing race in Hokkaido, I thought I could do with some rest and almost wanted to forgo the church camp. Besides, I still had things to settle before moving out. But after considering the circumstances, I decided to just go ahead with it.

Because of the camp and the fact that our Ps Tony was away in Tokyo, they cancelled the English service. So I had to attend the Japanese one instead. The last time I went for one was when I first stepped foot into Grace Chapel and found myself crying at the beautifully familiar music. Then I realised that it was through the Japanese service that I began my relationship with the local church and had my last as well.

The only people from the English service was Korean Lee and Filipino Rey. But because I was still very new, they specially engaged an interpreter for me. Ps Tsuchiya just had to announce that to the congregation. I was quite red-faced to find that he was translating just for me! What privilege :D

My personal interpreter did an excellent job (but unfortunately I have forgotten his name!), and I really enjoyed the service. I never knew Ps Tsuchiya had such a sense of humour. What shame, if only I understood more Japanese.

Most of the Japanese congregation departed for the camp straight after that. I had a lift from Akiko-san, a Sri Lankan who took up Japanese citizenship. She's been living in Japan for almost 15 years already, and undoubtedly had a good command of the language. Her own children prefer Japanese food more than her Sri Lankan curry.

I've never stayed in a typical Japanese hotel before. Business travellers tell me that those in Tokyo are so small you barely have space to walk around. But here in Niigata, they look so spacious and luxurious. They even moved the coffee (well, in this case, tea) table aside while you have your dinner downstairs so that they can lay out the futon and pillow for you. How Japanese.

Food was an art in itself. The type of plates used, layout of the various cutleries, play of colour and tastes. It was like having a 10 course meal, except that the courses are served all at once. I heard that the meal itself cost Y3,000. I wouldn't be surprised.

The next morning, just before the message, Ps Tsuchiya approached me to give a testimony. I was so unprepared for it since I just wanted to rest and relax and perhaps blend in and hope no one finds out about me. Unfortunately, he only gave me a minute to prepare a 3 minute testimony. Now, everyone knew who I was, what I was doing and why that camp would be my last time with them.

With my broken Japanese, I managed to make friends with most of them. They've been pretty hospitable and really gracious. To a fault! But it was a nice way to say goodbye. Having fun and enjoying each other's company. How ironic, just as I was beginning to grasp the language, I had to bid farewell and miss out on getting to know these people better.

No comments: