Note : This post was originally written 15 Nov 2016, which now when I look back almost a decade later, showed how frustrated and exasperated I was with the whole relocation process. I'll publish this post as-is, without any conclusion, to preserve the memories of that moment. Maybe this put me off blogging since then heh.
***
I had the shock of my life when I found out that there was something else I needed to do. My boss had tried to message me earlier, and asked me to check an email from HR. Apparently I needed to go to the embassy to sort out the visa application.
I was like, what?! All my things have been packed and I have no home to stay in, and now they tell me I still have the visa to process? My flight was in 3 days and I was left with only 2 luggages and personal necessities.
My plan was to clean up the apartment and get some rest in the hotel. Thanks to some incompetent HR person on the Dutch side, I had to stay in the empty apartment as I figured out what I really needed to do.
Since they had also removed the lights in the room, I couldn't stay in the apartment much longer after that. I quickly emailed my Japanese HR to let her know about the situation.
The European HR didn't even indicate which type of visa, and she just sent a link to the Dutch embassy, leaving everything for me to pick up. The type of visa would determine the appointment, and type of documents needed. She assumed I could just visit the embassy empty-handed, and get my visa immediately.
It was Saturday evening when I was done with the packing, and Monday was a holiday in Holland (therefore embassy would not be open either). Tuesday was my scheduled flight.
The next few days was a flurry of activities as I tried to get the necessary documents to visit the embassy in Tokyo.

No comments:
Post a Comment