Tuesday, February 05, 2013

quiche = egg pizza

When I got better (which I still think was not that bad, but made worse by taking Tamiflu which I still think was not necessary!), I started having more appetite. I haven't had real food in days, and I was afraid of losing more weight. So I whipped up something to whet the appetite.


I call this my version of quiche. I'd like to share the recipe coz it's really simple, and anyone can make this. You just need What I used :
1 clove garlic
3 slices ham/bacon
1-2 shiitake mushrooms
4 large cherry tomatoes
1 egg
1 tbsp butter
salt & pepper to taste
herbs for added flavour

1. Heat up the pan with butter, making sure not to burn it. Throw in the chopped garlic and lightly fry until fragrant.
2. Remove stems from mushrooms, dice them and fry together with garlic.
3. Cut ham/bacon into smaller strips, add to frying pan. The kitchen will really smell so nice by this point all because of the butter. Which creates great appetite for someone who's been on porridge for days!
4. Dice tomatoes (better if they are very ripe so the flavour comes out best) and add to frying pan. Stir all once in awhile to ensure surfaces are evenly cooked.
5. Beat the egg in a bowl, together with salt and pepper, then slowly pour mixture into the pan, making sure all ingredients are covered with egg.
6. When it's almost done, sprinkle some herbs (basil would be good), and a little black pepper for added oomph, on top.

This is probably not an actual quiche, and looks a bit like egg pizza. But it goes well with porridge, rice, bread and even on its own as a snack.

You would have noticed I don't prepare all my ingredients before cooking, but more of cutting and dicing while cooking. This will not work if you're using a wok on a fire stove! You can vary the ingredients and amount to suit your appetite.


Afterthought : I think I must've learnt this from my Egyptian friend, who used bellpepper in the mixture. Served with flat bread similar to naan is good too.

No comments: