Saturday, September 30, 2006

of thin walls and cute guys

When you're living in a place as quiet and remote as Urasa, you can literally hear a pin drop. Let me illustrate that by sharing the following which has just happened.

I was trying to get a good night's sleep for the drive to Niigata in a few hours' time and was about to enter slumberland when I heard voices from what I thought was the corridor of the dorms.

A bunch of students were throwing a farewell party for some of the Tokyo batch who was here for their English language programme. I knew they had just ended the party when I heard laughter and voices slightly after midnight.

But this group of grrls here were still carrying on their conversation and what I found most interesting was that I could hear almost every single detail of their animated chatter. And what amused me, and not surprisingly so, was that they were talking about the cute guys on campus!

As much as I would've joined them, I think I wasn't the only one who could hear their voices. Sound travels really well around here, so much so that rumours are known to spread very fast. So I did what I had to do. Waited a little while more to see if they would cease talking.

But knowing how the topic went on, I knew it might even last till sun break. So I unlocked my door as quietly as possible. And to my surprise, they all stopped talking almost immediately. Add to that, they weren't in the walkways after all, they were just at the stairs, which was just next to my room.

Oh boy, either it is that quiet around here or the dorms have really thin walls.

No comments: