Tuesday, January 25, 2005

of the Italian brunch and Burmese tea

Had a terrific long weekend. My busy schedule for the first month of the year has always been an indication of how the rest of the year would turn out. It was like that for the past few years. Post-Christmas celebrations, belated birthday parties, reunions with friends from different schools and more meetings up with newfound friends.

Like the last weekend, our Willow group (from the last iB camp) decided to meet up. We've been talking about it for some time, and even though some of us work near each other, we have yet to set a proper date. It was ironic that a spontaneous sms from our leader set the pace and we managed to get 3 (yes, THREE!) to come. So, since they so kindly agreed to come to Subang, I thought of cooking them a little something.

So the night before they were supposed to drop by for breakfast, I took a quick look in the fridge and took stock of my ingredients. The pasta, vegetables and soup were just nice for a small breakfast of three persons. I replied back to Prem's sms and told her that instead of going out, I'd cook them something. (And they would be my guinea pigs!)

If you know me, "acts of service" rank pretty low in my love language. But I decided to challenge myself and see if I could be hospitable and serve my friends using my cooking skills, or the lack of it. I don't cook much, and if I happen to cook for someone other than myself, I usually don't have the appetite. Not that the food turns out unappetizing, I just feel funny eating my own "creation". Heh! So, it's either I cook and eat my dish or I cook for someone and they eat it. :p

So anyways, I went to sleep thinking about the food and fellowship we were going to have the next day.

Got a call from Prem saying another grrl would be joining us. Then I remembered, there wouldn't be enough to feed four people. Oh dear, I'd have to take them out for food instead. So, had to forgo the idea of impressing people with my specialty (I only have two. Haha) So we went to Taipan for some Italian food. Pizza Uno lived up to expectations again. We shared Baked Herb Pizza Bread, Ceasar's Salad with Smoked Salmon, Casablanca Pizza, and Ravioli with Special Sauce.

Then we went back to my house for some Burmese Chinese tea. Perfect for washing down all the rich food we had for brunch. As we chit chatted over the fragrant aroma of the tea, we found out our families shared a lot of similarities.

Like how our mums keep plastic containers, tupperwares, empty bottles and jars, with the hopes that they would be reused or recycled one day. And how our houses have furnitures that don't quite match each other. Kitchen cabinets that have paper linings to protect the wood below. Christmas trees that still stand even after the presents have long been opened. Boxes in the store and under the bed which still hold stuff from yesteryears.

It was really fun having these people around. In an effort to exercise different gifts and talents, I must learn how to cook more dishes. Heh!

By the way, I cooked my specialty that night for dinner :)

No comments: