Sunday, June 24, 2007

picnic at mizunashi


Spring term is officially over! Just got done and over with my papers, assignments, projects & presentations last week. Ever since then, there's been non-stop gatherings and parties by every group imagineable - 2nd years, IPSP's, Burmese, IDP's, graduating students, GSO, SD3 rooftop, etc.


The transition between spring and summer is marked by tsuyu(梅雨)which means rainy season. I was already missing spring when I noticed that the rains kept coming and the fresh crisp weather got lesser and lesser.


We had a golden window of opportunity last Saturday where it was just perfect weather the whole day. We had initially planned to go to the beach to have bbq, but Japan ain't well known for having beautiful beaches, so we changed to shopping in Nagaoka where they just opened a new mall.


Then things changed last minutes and upon Shinko's recommendation we ended up having picnic near the river. I was just expecting us to have some snacks and drinks at some shady area while chatting and celebrating the end of the term.


But we ended up cycling about 6km from a ski resort (that's what I came to know since that area was where we had the IUJ Ski Day) turned summer inn to a dammed area through windy paths. It was just the type of weather where you want to hang out in the open sun and enjoy nature's best. Plus, the view was just fantastic.


Since I haven't cycled for such a long time, doing that distance was almost enough to kill me, but seeing the waters from the river running parallel with part of the cycling path was tempting enough to make me abandon my bike and jump into the river! Except for the fact that it was too shallow for me to jump into.


It was so deceptive, because as soon as our toes touched the water, we froze. It was that chilling. But some of us didn't care and just went straight to swim in the waters. Some even went as far as to dare each other to take off their undies in the river.


Since I didn't expect us to go cycling and stay out in the sun like that, I went unprepared. No cap, no sunglasses, and worst of all, no sunblock! You can imagine how toasted I came back. And now my skin is looking all funny. It's not the typical peeling that you get with sunburns, but it's like erupting, sorta!


But anyways, it was a really fun trip. We ended it with lunch at the Budo no Hana restaurant which has its own winery and produces their own Echigo-brand wine. Still not feeling satisfied, we headed to Yummy ice cream and got ourselves each some delicious homemade dessert. I wish everyday was like this - what bliss!

No comments: