Wednesday, April 07, 2010

hot air balloons

Our first cell outing this year was the 2nd Putrajaya International Hot Air Balloon Fiesta which was held at the country's new administrative centre. We decided to start out early, wary of the extreme weather that might change at any moment.


The main attraction was definitely the hot air balloons - some available for rides to the public, and the rest which decorated the skies of Putrajaya. There were other outdoor activities at the grounds; rides for kids, sphering for the daring, paragliding shows, helicopter rides, extreme games and competitions.


I didn't get to see the much-talked about Darth Vader balloon because it had already flown its (short) course by the time we arrived. I did see this representative from Monaco though, striking in red and white against a backdrop of clouds.


We wanted to try to get on the tethered rides (the yellow and colourful one behind the black are from Malayssia), but there were already long queues at all of them. So we just admired the hot air balloons from a distance. In any case, the balloons didn't go up very high. Sunny said he could take the stairs up a 2-storey building and still get the same view!


We decided to get away from the crowds, and came upon this little corner which was shaded from the tropical sun. Turned out there was another line for the sphering activity. I first heard about sphere rides from RedRibbon Days so it was a delight to find that it was not that rare after all. They had different sizes catering to children and adults, and could fit 2 people at any one time.


This is definitely one of my favourite picture of the day. The wide angle lens came in really useful at times like this. Even if I don't own a DSLR, I already know what lens I would be buying if I do get one myself!


Jaden seemed sporting despite the heat of the day. This was taken as we took a tour at the Monumen Alaf Baru. I thought he was going to cry at first, but when I peeked from behind the camera to coax him to smile, he tilted his head to the side and gave me this cheeky look.



We had lunch at Penang Village at Alamanda, a brief respite from the sun. I am all game for outdoor activities, but I didn't think this was very worth it considering I never really did anything other than take pictures! Plus, the heat & humidity has gone somewhat extreme from what I last remember.


Having said that, I still indulged in a bowl of spicy tangy Assam Laksa. I'm quite sadistic; I knew my eyes would tear up and yet I thought this would be good to sweat it out!

No comments: