Thursday, August 19, 2004

cow's tongue

Was having a Korean bbq dinner at Sri Hartamas with some friends when I tried, probably for the first time, cow's tongue.

When in raw form, it looks like something that Fear Factors participants have to chew in their bid to gain fame and fortune.

But after putting it on the grill and watching it turn from pink to burnt brownish red, it didn't look so inedible anymore. Looks like any common barbequed meat waiting to be consumed.

My friend promptly put 1 piece on my place and proceeded to eat hers. I watched as she enjoyed her bbq-ed meat. She sure wasn't squirming as if trying to eat fried grasshoppers or goat's eyeball.

So with much trepidation, I picked up the grilled tongue with the silver chopsticks and looked at it for awhile. Here goes nothing. It's just a piece of meat. I'm putting it in my mouth now. It's cooked, for goodness' sake!. I'm feeling it already. Can you taste that? Hey, it ain't so bad. It tastes just like bacon! There you go, delicious, wasn't it?

Uh huh. It sure does. And as I felt the juiciness of the meat in my mouth, I went ahead and took a few more pieces of those tongues. Those Koreans sure know how to marinate their meat. It had the right amount of spiciness and sweetness. I can't remember the name of this quaint restaurant but it sounded something like "Han Gook Chon". If you ever drop by there and help yourself to some cow's tongue, please tell me the right spelling, will ya? :)

No comments: