Monday, August 09, 2004

a try at food review

Written last Thursday, but managed to only post it up today due to login problems :

* * * * * * * * * * *

Was talking to insight when he suggested that I do a food review. I've always been a food person, trying out new eateries and all sorts of food, but never really thought of reviewing food. Most of the times, I'm just there once or twice coz there's always some place new open for tasting!

Anyways, my grrlfrens and I were having a little belated birthday gathering and decided to try out FastaPasta. Originating from Down Under, they have just opened their first restaurant in Ikano.

Pictures from Fasta Pasta's website

Warm lightings, giant picturess on the walls, inviting ambience. Kinda reminded me of SanFranciscoSteakhouse. So therefore, my expectations went up. I was looking forward to great food to go with even greater company.

But alas, there were not enough tables in the restaurant to fit all 8 of us. It was really nicer to be seated inside with the dim lightings and with the smells of freshly made pasta wafting over. So we had to settle for the longer tables outside instead. There goes my nice ambience.

Fasta Pasta has this concept where they give you a piece of paper with the list of food and a pencil for you to tick the dishes you want. Once you're done, you bring the list over to the counter where you pay for the food and wait for them to serve you. Pretty effective, I'd say. That way, you can take your time to choose while the staff busy themselves with other more important tasks. Rather than wait for fussy customers to decide (and re-decide) over which sauce to go with their spirali, they do not need to pretend to smile and look un-exasperated anymore. They can be in the kitchen making the spirali or stirring the tomato sauce.

I decided to try their fettuccine carbonara (one of my personal favourites). The best I've tasted was at SOULedOutCafe and I've been trying various versions in other restaurants. Fasta Pasta, it must be noted, serves rather large portions. Australian-sized, to be exact. Moreover, the creamy sauce makes it rather filling after awhile. Needless to say, I did not finish my fettucine!

The rest of us tried other dishes, pasta to be exact, and refrained from the usual steaks and chops. I must say one of the better ones were Ravioli di Ricotta Tre Colori. First time seeing pasta stuffed with ricotta cheese. The fusion of creamy white sauce and tomato sauce only made it a delightful treat.

Overall, not bad a concept, considering there are countless other Italian restaurants in Klang Valley serving similar dishes. It stands out because their pasta is freshly made, everyday. Portions are generous, plus they offer uncommon pasta such as rotelle, cappelletti and ravioli.

No comments: