Wednesday, March 29, 2006

still can't believe

Can't believe I'll be leaving Malaysia in less than a week. Even though I've gotten most things settled, it has just begun to sink in that I'll be embarking on a new journey in a foreign land whose language I barely know in 5 days!

People have been asking me whether I've started packing, if I'm feeling excited. For the past 2 weeks, I have had to to say no to both questions. All I could think of was to tie up loose ends, both at work and outside. Now that most of them are done, I'm starting to imagine my life in Japan.

I've heard so much about it, and have never thought I would set foot in this country whose capital ranks one of the highest in the world in terms of living expenses. In a way, I'm glad I didn't get into any of the universities in Tokyo. The fact that my course is fairly new and not many schools offer it somewhat made decision making easier.

Was googling for IUJ late last night (early this morning!) and saw a link to some pictures posted up by someone whom I think is a student there. I almost dropped dead looking at them. For one, they look so beautiful! I've heard lots about IUJ being surrounded by mountains and having one of the most amount of snowfall in Japan. A fellow Monbusho scholar said that he envied me because I would be studying in a "ski resort".

Secondly, that means, I'm going to freeze up and die. If you were to give me a choice, I would choose beach over mountains for my escapade, any time of the year. I can already imagine myself curled up in layers of clothing and blowing hot air to warm myself. Forget about being fashionable in hip Japan, all that matters would be to survive!

Oh boy, I can't wait to see how I'm going to avoid from ending up as a popsicle.

No comments: