Wednesday, August 23, 2006

care for orange-scented eggs, anyone?

I just had to do it. Pull the plug. Now my fridge's officially dead.

It was kinda dying on me for some time already. At first I thought it was the summer heat. The ice was melting off from the walls of the freezer. Then, the lower section was still doing fine.

The week after that, I noticed that the ice was also slowly thinning away. I played around with the temperature knob, not knowing what the kanji characters meant. There was only one which looked familiar, 中, and that was a no-brainer considering it was printed in between 2 other characters on each side.

But after much twiddling to see how each would affect my fridge, it still didn't work. By the end of the previous week, I knew it was hopeless. I had to throw out a lot of my food - ikan bilis, onions, chicken, ginger... There went my lunch. I had to resort to buying food from the nearest convenience store. Fried chicken for Y105 is quite ok hor.

Some of the other stuff which I could salvage were quickly transported to my friend's fridge - butter, mayo, wine vinegar (or something that reads like that), cheese, and my precious oyster sauce.

Lo and behold, when I came back from Tokyo on Sunday, the fridge not only kaput-ed but turned into a heater instead. The remaining stuff sorta got steamed inside. I only knew how bad it was when I got really hungry and had no choice but to cook one of the eggs for supper.

Guess wat? I just unintentionally invented orange-scented eggs. The citrusy aroma of the orange seeped into the eggs over the period of 1 week. The egg didn't taste like orange, but it did smell like one! Thank God I'm still alive.

No comments: