Friday, March 14, 2008

thank God for friday indeed

I finally had to invite my boss out for lunch today so that I would be able to talk to him. I've been wanting to talk to him for the past 2 weeks. But last week was his birthday. And this week it seemed like there was no good opportunity. Our office does not have a boss' room where we can talk private things. And I can't wait till everyone goes back, that will be too late for me.

Since it was lunch, I didn't want to spoil my appetite by going straight into the topic. So I told him I just wanted to catch up with him. So it was mainly about work in general and his plans for the company and how things are beginning to shape out. So I asked him if I was getting a laptop yet.

Everyone else seems to be getting one. Ironically, the first to get one was the newest staff who not only got a new laptop, but a new display as well. Then the Marketing Manager also got hers, albeit a 2nd-hand one. Last week it was my Swedish colleague. Early this week, the French designer was telling me the boss would be getting him a desktop. Where's mine?!

While all these was happening, he still expected me to lug my laptop and be at the office everyday. Hence, my little "rebellion" my working from home or going to work after lunch. It wasn't like I was not working, sometimes I could concentrate and get more done at home. In fact, I even had time to do chores like laundry and cooking in between. Oh yes, I'm quite good at multitasking if I put my heart to it. Heh.

So I shared all these and some other matters to him. When I first wrote down the points in my notebook 2 weeks ago, I was quite upset, to say the least. I figured it wasn't a good idea to talk about it then. Maybe it was stress period for the boss as well. I was right. While he was talking about how things were going on at the office, even before I started asking about my laptop, he apologised for his cranky behavior.

I'm quite glad I got that out of the way. There are other matters I did not bring up, but for now, this would do. The lump of poison I felt in my throat is gone now, I think. I was telling my friends that I have this lump, it's affecting me and how I feel towards the boss and the work I'm doing. I even had some strange dreams these past few days. I've never ever had dreams for as long as I've started working. Well, not these kind, anyways.

One of my darling friends, knowing how stressed I was about work lately sent me this. I've read this countless of times before, but was reminded of the simple things that actually make one's day.

Natural Highs

1. Falling in love.
2. Laughing so hard your face hurts.
3. A hot shower.
4. No lines at the supermarket.
5. A special glance.
6. Getting mail.
7. Taking a drive on a pretty road.
8. Hearing your favorite song on the radio.
9. Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.
10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.
11. Chocolate milkshake (vanilla or strawberry).
12. A bubble bath.
13. Giggling.
14. A good conversation.
15. The beach
16. Finding a 20 dollar bill in your coat from last winter.
17. Laughing at yourself.
18. Looking into their eyes and knowing they Love you
19. Midnight phone calls that last for hours.
20. Running through sprinklers.
21. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.
22. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful.
23. Laughing at an inside joke with FRIENDS
25. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.
26. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep.
27. Your first kiss (either the very first or with a new partner).
28. Making new friends or spending time with old ones.
29. Playing with a new puppy or kitten.
30. Having someone play with your hair.
31. Sweet dreams.
32. Hot chocolate.
33. Road trips with friends.
34. Swinging on swings.
35. Making eye contact with a cute stranger.
36. Making chocolate chip cookies.
37. Having your friends send you homemade cookies.
38. Holding hands with someone you care about.
39. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change.
40. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you.
41. Watching the sunrise.
42. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.
43. Knowing that somebody misses you.
44. Getting a hug from someone you care about deeply.
45. Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think.

No comments: