Friday, July 30, 2004

and so, the week is coming to an end...

Feeling really relieved that the week is finally coming to an end.

CEO of one subsidiary company dumped a rush job last week. Wanted to do a revamp of their website, time given 3 weeks. That's crazy, I thought. My usual is 3 months, depending on amendments, bugging and testing. So anyhows, I took up the challenge. Nothing pending at the moment mar. Want to show I'm superwoman :P

Lo and behold, all sorta obstacles came in throughout the past week. Computer networks and internet connection were unreliable, to say the least. Everyone was frustrated. All our work was on the PC. No network, no MS office, no connection to software, no work can be done. So there I was, stuck. Opening programmes took forever. Internet was up one minute, down the next 2 hours.

This was crazy. No way I could finish up a decent mock for CEO within a week, let alone with all these disruptions. So I did the only thing I could do - pray. Pray like crazy lor. And hope for the best :D

Internet was up again for awhile, scrambled to do the necessary changes before it went kaput. Emailed CEO to tell him that I won't be doing major revamp. Will maintain the layout as the original website, but cosmetic changes will be done to top and bottom bars, main banner and colour scheme. That itself is considered a feat, since I'm quite particular about how the whole layout will appear.

People who think websites are easy to do are, well, quite right to a certain extent. Anyone can create a website, but not all websites are user-friendly, adhere to best practices, easily navigable and do not require users to have a steep learning curve.

But, I digress. I can go on and on about how to make a good website, share with you tips on what best makes a corporate website tick and attract users and clients....

Anyways, with all the frustrations and obstacles throughout the last and this week, I managed to come up with something decent. So "decent" I was prepared to apologise to CEO and blame it on the terrible network and unreliable net connection.

So there I went, showing off the "decent" website and explaining to him how I changed the look of the website. Much like how a make up artists explains to the a mak datin how the latest eyeshadow will make her eyes look bigger, and the newest lipstick in the market will make her lips so pouty men want to kiss her. So explained I did, trying to make it sound like I did a lot of work despited the inconveniences. Which still was a lot mar.

"Good! Excellent! I like this!" exclaimed CEO.

I myself was shocked. I turned to see his face and saw that he was truly happy and satisfied with my "decent" work. So it wasn't so "decent" after all. I did try my best, and with God's help, it turned out "excellent", as exclaimed by CEO. I couldn't help feeling really happy inside. I think my heart was doing a little cartwheel just now.

My colleague who has worked with said CEO commented that he could be quite demanding. And yes, he was. Wanted so many new features into the website and demanded to have this and that. With my persuasiveness I managed to convince him that those extras would have to come in later. Settle the basics within the given 3 weeks and we'll come to the rest when I will be freed from my other projects.

And that's how my week went. Really rushed and messy in the beginning. It still is, even as I type. Too many things to write here, but as the week comes to an end, I feel very satisfied that my work was completed (to a certain extent), and even praised! Praise the Lord, is what I'd say!! :)

No comments: