Thursday, November 24, 2005

IM-less connection

I got banned from using Yahoo Messenger, my trusty online communications tool. I felt so isolated and alone. So disconnected from the rest of the world.

Apparently we're not allowed to use any form of Instant Messengers. To tell you the truth, I only found that out by accident when I went through our public folders, and it was found in our former IT dept, which is now outsourced and privatised. Technically, it's their SOP and if it's not made known to the rest of the company (parent or subsidiary), we don't have to follow their procedures.

But since they control the network, internet access, and everything technical for the rest of the group of companies, we're subjected to their rules and regulations as well. Sigh.

So anyways, for the past few years I've been able to connect to YM due to my ingeniosity. Heh! Everytime the IT tech guy comes over to do regular PM's*, I somehow manage to tweak the configuration and I'm back online again. I'm no tech wizard, but it's usually by trial and error.

This time, they've upgraded the firewall and all my efforts in connecting have failed. I can't even access websites of web messengers, touted to even bypass strict firewalls and proxy servers to enable users to use their favourite IMs.

So now I'm on iloveim.com, the only application that has saved me from the doldrums of an IM-less life. Thanks to iloveim.com, I now have a new set of friends and my contact list is being populated once again. Nevermind that it's so basic and lack the RAM-hogging features of YM, the feeling of being connected again is just indescribable!


* PM - Preventive Maintenance

No comments: