Tuesday, November 15, 2005

vbs 2005

Our church's VBS (Vacation Bible School) has taken quite a bit of my time, especially in recent weeks. Committee meetings, writing minutes and following up, and teachers' briefings replaced my usual Sunday nap times.

After the whole day at the annual dinner, I was too tired to attend church. Felt really bad the day after. But had to drag myself out of bed to attend the final VBS briefing. The helpers and workers were treated to lunch before prayer and proceeding to decorate the rooms. I think we outdid ourselves this year, each class had their own set of decorations to fit the theme, much more elaborate than I've ever remembered.

Went home after that, took a nap trying to catch up on sleep and tried to finalise my lessons for the next day. Even though my role is so tiny, I wanted to make sure I did it right. The class I was teaching may be just 7-8 year old kids who may never remember who taught what in which VBS, but it was important that they had a good impression of the Truths that are imparted to them.

My efforts were duly rewarded when my class' main teacher came up to me telling me I did a good job of holding their attention. Not easy, considering we had about 110 children in that age group spread across the main rally hall. It can only be from God that I had the brilliant idea to use actions to accompany the memory verse and star-shapes in black background to display the words of Matthew 2:2, and still manage to pull it off with 3 hours of sleep.

It was good to see children, not just from our church, but from other churches and orphanages, enjoying themselves learning God's Word. Things have really changed from when I was a kid. Today they are blessed with modern AV equipment, multimedia visuals for lessons, funky music and full band during worship. And because of that, it takes so much more to get them to be still and listen to you while you teach.

I left VBS halfway yesterday due to a meeting my boss just had to schedule today, but I'm already looking forward to rejoining them tomorrow. :)

No comments: