Wednesday, November 23, 2005

presenting... (cue : drum rolls)...

The showcase is just 3 days away, and I'm not even ready!

Instead of having exams at the end of the school year, Eximius, our very own School of Performing Arts have decided to torture its students showcase the talents of its students by having them learn how to face an audience of a thousand play during the church service.

During one of our classes last month, our teacher handed us a slip of paper to sign should we choose to embarrass ourselves on stage do the showcase. As part of the exercise, we are required to commit regularly to classes and diligently practice our pieces.

Even before we received that piece of paper, blursquid and I were "picked on selected" by our teacher to perform. I just had to ask him why, since there were better students in our class (read : their skills qualify them for the intermediate class, but for whatever reason, ended up in ours instead). His answer? "Both of you have been faithful". What a price to pay for being faithful! :p

So anyways, tried as much as we did, but we just couldn't get ourselves out of the showcase. Teacher said it would be good exposure. Inside I was thinking "I'll really be exposed for being the lousy musician that I am!". Hah!

I have had to miss a few classes recently and I wasn't too happy because that meant I was losing out to the other students had to catch up with the rest. The only advantage I had was my musical background. But other than that, I still have to put in hours to torture my fingers practice. It doesn't matter that I can roughly guess what chord comes next or that I can follow the timing, my bar chords still sucked! sound muted.

Having said that, I must say I enjoy tormenting my digits learning the guitar. I just wished I could master my bar chords without having the guitar sound like it has a mute pedal like the piano. It's quite imperative that this is done within the next few days for we'll be playing the "Heart of Worship" in D, transposed to E and finally end in F.

You know what I'm gonna do? I'll be using my friend's canggih looking guitar, hoping that my fans the audience would be so awestruck by this fine piece of workmanship that everything else becomes a blur (read : whatever that I'm supposed to play)! And oh, please remember to bring some cotton balls - muted chords aren't very pleasant to the ears.

No comments: