Tuesday, December 13, 2005

tis more blessed to give than to receive

I'm happy! Only one more paper to go, my Japanese test is tomorrow. I'll be getting my IELTS result this Friday, and for the whole of next week, I can concentrate on writing my essays.

Can't wait for the end of the year. Was really looking forward to the Christmas week. By November I was already thinking of the gatherings and festivities, the food and fellowship.

Then I realised, what is Christmas without Christ? This year I was caught up with all things but the birthday Boy. How could I have gotten so carried away by all the merriment, and left out the reason why Christmas is celebrated in the first place.

I was worried about what to give to my colleagues for Christmas this year. It has always been my tradition to bless them with a little gift. I do that for my grrlfriends too. Since there are about 20 of them altogether, I try to get something meaningful with the limited budget that I have.

After awhile, I began to run out of ideas. Candles, chocolates, candy canes - they've all gotten them from me. I even varied the way I presented them - ribbons, lace pouches, glossy wrappers, mini paper bags. In the midst of all these, I started wondering why was I taking so much effort making fancy wrappers and putting cute pressies when I should be the one receiving presents at this time of the year.

The selfish me reared its ugly head and started to doubt my own good deeds. Here I was, spending hours thinking how to put my creativity to good use, and coming up with unique gifts when I'm the one celebrating Christmas and not them.

But I love making pressies. (Well, given the luxury of time, I'd love to give everyone handmade pressies if possible.) More so when the recipient enjoys the gift. Once in awhile I receive grateful notes of thanks and appreciative comments on my efforts. That itself makes the whole giving exercise a worthwhile effort.

This year, I'm planning to continue with the tradition, but perhaps on a scaled down level. One of the Daily Bread readings reminded me of the reason why we're celebrating Christmas. It was one of those "What has gotten into me?!" moments. With that in mind, I will plan my festive activities, and yes that includes gift getting, with Him as the central reason.

Hmm, maybe I'll make cards this time around?

No comments: