Wednesday, December 03, 2008

merry lily

Christmas is here in Japan. It feels so beautiful at night when buildings and walkways are illuminated with all kinds of lights and glitters. As ironic as it is with more than 99% of the population not even Christians themselves, Christmas is a HUGE thing here.

One thing I gotta 'tabik' the Japanese is their creativity in decorating and making things look pretty. Like the previous weekend when I was hosting Esther & Jo, we went up the Observation Deck on the 52nd floor of Roppongi Hills. We had a clear view of Tokyo city at night. The way they lit up Tokyo Tower made it look like the Eiffel Tower from a distant.


But what drew my attention was the "Christmas tree" they created in the middle of the Deck. It was not so much how it looked, but how it smelled!


This "tree" was made completely out of lilies. Fresh white lilies all the way from the bottom to the top, almost reaching the ceiling.


Almost everyone was waiting for their chance to have a picture taken with the tree.


The fragrance of the cut lilies wafted through the Deck and made the whole ambience just so pleasant. I wonder how often they have to change the lilies to keep it looking so fresh. But oh my, what effort! I can almost remember the scent of the evening even as I write this.


* tabik - salute, respect

No comments: