Friday, January 16, 2015

thai for memories

We finally met. Through a series of unexpected events, I managed to pull along Cindy and Eva who were her former dance students.

After paying respect to her husband, we brought her to Busaba at BSC. This was one of her favourite dining places with her husband. I can just imagine them dining here as she regaled us with tales of how they met and what she liked about him. Couldn't help but coo over the fact that she married her middle school sweetheart.


We found out later that she had been feeling depressed over his death, and was intending to take her own life. This might have been a reality if not for a mutual friend's friend who found her walking around on her own. She was seen carrying a picture of her husband, going around to the places they had been together.

I cannot begin to imagine how that must feel, but I can sympathise a little with the fact that being a foreigner alone can be daunting especially when there's language barrier, and no closed family members around.


I didn't get to take up her offer of using up their massage vouchers, but I was glad I got to spend time with her a few times over lunch and friends. She seemed to be in better spirits when I called before leaving for the airport. I hope she finds her true purpose for living, and leaves Malaysia with fond memories.



On a separate note, I found Busaba pretty posh but approachable enough for a nice meal amidst plush interior. Food arrived promptly and service was good, but perhaps we came on a weekday past regular lunch hours. Though this was not on my list of must-eat-when-back-in-Malaysia, I wouldn't mind going back again.



No comments: