Thursday, September 23, 2004

the marriage proposal

Younger guys have expressed their, ahem, interests in, ahem, me before but not this young. He was the ringbearer at last Saturday's wedding. And I had the honour of being my friend's bridesmaid.

At first, he was like any typical pre-school boy. Standing in all sorts of poses, he was trying to imitate one of the Power Rangers. He even asked me which colour Power Ranger I was. I don't really fancy those robot-like superheroes, so frankly I wasn't too interested in playing with him. But Alex told me to warm up to the kids, so that they would listen to instructions better. Wanted them to walk together in harmony and turn when the couple turn to face the officiating pastor. So I had to entertain him, that little guy in front of me.

Then suddenly, don't-know-how don't-know-why, he turned to me and said "I love you". So the polite thing to do would be to say "Thank you", which I did. I was of course a little startled at first, but tried not to look too shocked. He did it again for a few more times, and it was quite cute at first. Even the relatives were amused. My friends were laughing, and teased me about it.

Later, he expanded his declaration of love to "I want to love you. I want to kiss you. I want to marry you". Gasp! What is this I'm hearing from a 6 year old kid?? Where does he learn these kinda stuff?

It was getting rather annoying when he continued coming up to me, even in the middle of the bridal rehearsal, and repeated those phrases. Later I asked him where he learnt them from. Found out it was from the idiot box. And that his parents let him sleep at 12 midnight! My goodness, what shows is he watching late at night? Sex and the City?? Surely it's not Kim Possible or Johnny Bravo.

I had to think of a way to "break" his heart. So I told him I already had a boyfriend. He didn't believe it, so I pointed to my guy friend who was handling the AV that time. This kid actually ran up to my friend and asked him if he was really my boyfriend. Then he came back to me and said "Don't love him.. I want to love you", looking rather frustrated and disappointed at the same time.

Then the pastor stepped in when she noticed he was not giving up. She told him she would officiate his marriage if he's willing to wait another 20 years for me! Think Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher :P

I thought it was over that day when the rehearsals ended.
But in real life, things are never what you expect them to be.

The next morning, I arrived at the hotel early, ready to be dolled up by the makeup artist. Serena and I looked really pretty in our white dresses. Naturally she looked grander since she was the bride. I was so happy for her, and couldn't wait for the moment when Alex would come and pick her up.

When Alex finally came, the bridal entourage were ready with their "torture concoctions". Typical of Chinese weddings where the bride's "sisters" would challenge the groom-to-be (and his "brothers") to certain stunts or dares before they would allow him to approach the bride. Alex and his "brother" managed to swallow slices of bitter gourd, pieces of chilli padi, and gulp down lime juice.

Then came the tea ceremony for the bride's side of the family. I was standing near them in case the bride accidently steps on her bridal train. My little admirer just had to stand next to me, even though there wasn't much space to manoeuvre around in the hotel room. And he had to proclaim his love in those famous 3 phrases, much to everyone's amusement. At this point, I just wished I had a hole to hide myself. But I maintained my composure and thanked him again.

I thought that kid would have slept over the thought that he loved me and would have forgotten all about it the next morning. But nooooo, he's still "in love" with me.

While at the church during the wedding ceremony, he kept walking over to profess his undying love. Even while the pastor was officiating the ceremony. Even while the another pastor was giving the sermon. Even after many hushes from his mother.

Later, it was time for photos at the patio. Mostly it was with the family members. This kid tried to pull me in there with the rest of his uncles and aunties and long lost relatives. Managed to run away after that. Not literally, but I had to pull myself away from him. So off I went back into the church, my CG members were there taking down the decorations. And yes, you guessed it, the kid managed to find me there amidst the laces and ribbons, and people.

Some of my CG friends had to reprimand him for being so... annoying. I think he got frightened of them and finally let go of my hand. Thank God for kind and understanding friends who are there when you need them!

As you will again guess, it did not stop there. He was also there during the dinner. I think his mother might have said something like "So you got yourself a girlfriend, you don't want me anymore". 'Cause he came up to my table, and promised that it would be the last time he said "I want to love you." (Yes, it's "I want to love you" and not "I love you")

I was pretty relieved, because that meant I was able to enjoy the rest of the evening undisturbed. Or that's what I thought. Later, his cousins teased him about it (Now that I think of it, they could've been the ones instigating this whole thing!) and that kinda inspired him to continue to "want to love" me more. He plucked a stalk of rose out of somewhere and gave it to me. One, then another. Then somemore.
Then a whole bouquet. I quickly got him to return it to the hotel.

And at the end of the evening, he even offered his hand to lead me to his car, offering to drive me back home!

When I told this to my guy friend, he said he also kalah to this kid. He was impressed by how good this kid was. I am still flabbergasted at where he learnt his tricks. The first few times is cute, but 100 times later, it's rather suffocating.

But, another friend puts it, if he was 20 years older, I'd be floating on Cloud Nine already!

No comments: