Tuesday, June 07, 2005

RM rawks!

reuben morgan concert poster


Almost wanted to write "Reuben Morgan rawks!", then realised I shouldn't be promoting this guy. After all, as we say, all glory to God.

I usually try not to compare between christian concerts, due to the fact that they are there not as performers, but merely to facilitate the worship atmosphere. To aid in preparing the hearts of the people for a communion with the Father.

The first time I attended a hillsongs concert in PJEFC was when their asian church came visiting. Without going into details, it was not as great as I expected it to be. Perhaps the hype was that they were from the famed Australian church.

So when I heard Reuben was coming, I tried not to be so excited. But after listening to his latest CD "World Through Your Eyes", I must say it was a different treat from the usual Hillsongs fare. I'm going to use the word funky to describe it because I can't think of any word at the moment to best explain his style.

It was a good mixture of some of his latest songs and also the older classics. So old that I didn't know he wrote them! Example being "Lord I give you my heart". After listening to so much of their newer songs, this song doesn't sound very Hillsongs!

I noticed that he used unconventional chord progressions. I'm pretty sure he changed his IV-V-I to perhaps something like IV-V-VIm-II and others which I couldn't figure out on the spot. And just when you expect the song to end "properly", it brings you to another level, as if leaving you hanging halfway, waiting for more.

This was one of the reasons why his songs were different. Funky and given a fresh twist of life. Those who purchased their "resources" that night were given a free copy of his EP, loaded with 7 songs, all done up in reuben style. See, I can't think of a better word!

No comments: