Tuesday, August 09, 2005

jazz with mr gambus

After a series of impromptu arrangements with various people, I finally got myself to the Jazz Fest!

Was supposed to celebrate Connee's birthday, but she couldn't make it. So it was just me and the grrls (my ex-housemates from uni) this time. It was great chilling out and listening to good music. We actually have really talented local musicians, they just need our support to grow and develop further.


backstage
Arriving near the backstage just when the 1st act was playing their last piece


It was my first time hearing this guy called Mr Gambus, let alone watch him work his magic on the strings! He's passionate about using the local instrument to play jazz and wants to bring it to a higher level. Apparently he's very famous abroad, it's such a pity not many have heard of him locally.


mr gambus and his gambus
He really looks like he's enjoying himself performing up there


My apologies, I was too engrossed with the music from where I was sitting, that I didn't want to move my butt to take a better picture of him and his band. They are that good. I should have had the guts to go near the stage to take shots of them in action.


mr gambus and his guitar
He's as versatile on a traditional instrument as he is on a modern one


One of my grrlfriends immediately bought 2 of his CD's just as his band was about to perform. After the performance, we quickly went backstage to get some autographs and pictures with the band. If I'm not mistaken, the drummer is Jose Thomas' son, and the keyboardist is from Beijing.


the mr gambus band
(L-R) : terror saxophonist, impressive bassist, the Mr Gambus, talented keyboardist, hot drummer


Again, I was too impressed with their musical skills that I did not hear Mr Gambus introduce them one by one. Personally I thought the keyboardist rawked - I can relate to that because it's the only instrument I play! But I'm also beginning to appreciate the other instruments as I get more involved in the worship team. There's just something about the kind of music that is produced when everyone works in perfect harmony.


keyboardist from beijing?
We actually "stalked" the keyboardist to have a photo with him!


Oh well, it was a great night, despite the humidity and the many many human beings that were there to be seen just to chill out. We should have more of these. Thanks to Sunrise, we got to listen to great music at no cost. Well, maybe add a little for parking and food.

Jazz Fest comes to an end this weekend. Come and have a fantabulous time, bring your parents, uncle, aunty, granma, granpa, kittens, pet lizard, next door neighbour, newspaper man, and... you get my point. :D

No comments: