Thursday, September 29, 2005

singapore getaway 1

It was a pretty good break, even if it wasn't purely break per se. It was a trip of sorts - to visit my brother, catch up with friends, see how Singapore evolved over the decade, and since my mum decided to tag along - to have holiday with her as well.

First stop - Jurong Birdpark. Dusty, the durable tour guide came all the way from JB. Must thank him for taking the effort despite not really knowing his way around! I was quite excited about the birdpark because Uniquely Singapore's website was promoting a "hearty breakfast beside a flock of pink flamingos". But when we got there, there was no "show", explained the officer in charge. The flamingos would still be there, and we can still order their breakfast set, but apparently, no breakfast with the flamingos.


me and some flamingos
Posing with little flamingos


We paid about SGD20 for 2 different sets and had a really lovely American breakfast under the shady raintree. We could see flocks of flamingos at a pond just below us. I was already feeling destressed - the greens, God's wonderful nature, and having nary a worry in the world. If I had the money, I'd build my home like this - wooden and filled with warm lights, trees and colourful flowers everywhere (even in the bathroom), ponds and streams, animals roaming... Err, that sounds like living in the jungle!


lush greeneries and flamingos
Lush greeneries - soothing to the soul


We were being the typical tourists, exploring every trail and snapping pictures everywhere we went. It was just refreshing being there. People are wondering why I'm doing all these touristy stuff instead of shopping. After all, it's Singapore. Well, sad to say, it wasn't sales season. But, it was a good time actually - no school holidays, no shopping sales, no hassle fighting your way through seas of people.


solo pelican
So hard to get a shot of this pelican being still - it kept moving about cleaning its feathers



solo swan
Graceful looking creatures, these swans



solo duck
One of the most exquisite birds - the colourful mandarin duck


While I was soaking in the atmosphere and enjoying His creations, I received an SMS from Malaysia - of all people, my boss. Something about rescheduling a website meeting. And suddenly, the stress came back. Not much, but the thought of work and anything related was enough to spoil the mood. Goodness, what was she thinking sending me something like that on a cheery Saturday morning??

I must remind myself to scan through my messages when I'm on holiday. Anyways, I pushed that thought away and went around admiring the birds again. Seeing them and their simple ways made me wish I was a bird flying in the sky!


emu like creature
This cute li'l fella was trying to peck at us, not an emu but looks like one



the action penguin
The sole penguin who was posing for us while its fellow tuxedo-ed friends happily swam around the aquarium



ang moh girl feeding a lory
Ang moh charboh trying her hands feeding a lory bird


It was a morning well spent. I had to rush off to Raffles Hotel to meet the reps from the IUJ after that. And that, ladies and gentlemen, will be a story for another day :)

No comments: