Friday, September 30, 2005

singapore getaway 2

Remember when I said I might go down Singapore to talk to the IUJ reps? Well, by making the holiday trip, I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

IUJ's website was pretty informative, and I was already in contact with the admissions dept. Most of my concerns were promptly answered. However, I wanted to show them I made the effort (to gain admission), and to clarify some other issues.

After having a quick lunch with Dusty at the NUS campus (which reminded me of UM + they have subsidised food even in their own McD's and Genki Sushi!), I went off to the city in search of Raffles The Plaza.

Got a bit lost at first when I came out of the MRT station and saw Swissôtel The Stamford. Didn't know they were connected and it wasn't shown on the map! Anyways, after asking around the concierge, I finally found the ballroom where the MBA tour was being held.

Managed to locate IUJ's booth and met up with the dean of their Business School. He personally attended to me while I explained to him my predicament.

1) I need to get a letter of acceptance from a Jap uni in order for me to be shortlisted (yes, it's still not over!) for the scholarship. Announcements will be made by the embassy in February.
2) But, deadlines for the IUJ's admission is in February as well. Admission results will only be released in March.
3) One of the required documents is my TOEFL/IELTS test results, of which I have none. As terror as my Engrish is, I am still not exempted from taking it. But, the dean was pretty impressed with my qualifications and wished he could exempt me.
4) All these Engrish tests ain't cheap! If I'm not mistaken, IETLS costs almost RM400 and it's only valid for 2 years. (By the way, which test is more universally accepted?)

He encouraged me to submit my documents by this year and perhaps they might be able to process my application (and find a supervisor) in time for the embassy's deadline. Hmm... write essays, register for Engrish test, prepare transcripts, etc.. oh boy, looks like it's gonna be a busy end of the year for me!

Well, with my questions answered, I took the MRT back to Red Hill to take a short nap. Must get enough rest, looking forward to the much-talked about Night Safari. And that, ladies and gentlemen, will be a story for another day. :)

No comments: