Friday, September 02, 2005

tis the season to get married

The 2nd half of the year seems to be a good time to get married. Everyone's telling me they 'kena saman' for back to back weddings. The last weekend was my 2nd, and I foresee going for 2 more in the coming months.

Mei Ching's wedding-thanksgiving-thingy last Saturday, which wasn't an actual one was a decidedly simple affair. The ceremony proper was held on Merdeka day, and only her relatives were invited. I heard it was a garden wedding. Hmmm, would have been lovely.


i also kena saman lor
Since she took the effort to give me a handmade card, I thought I'd give her something personal as well :)


The wedding theme was soft purple. Pastel purple. Or lavender, or whatever proper colour name it's supposed to be. The backdrop was sweet, with fairy lights giving that warm glow at the stage.


lavender was the colour of the day
Mei Ching and Weng Chuan being given a prayer of blessings by their pastor.


I've never been to Canaan Baptist Church before, but the size of the church sanctuary made the event an intimate one. Even the proceedings was informal, with a surprise performance thrown in by Mei Ching's group of dancer friends from the church.


couple sitting on top of purple luggage bag, waiting to be eaten
This must've been the cutest wedding cake I've ever seen!


The couple later went up to give their speech express their gratitude to the multitudes of people who came to be a part of their special day. Weng Chuan spoke like a Hongkie, with dashes of English in his Canton tongue. I could see that he certainly had a sense of humour, everyone was laughing at his self-deprecating jokes.


we see the edible couple again
The real couple holding the edible couple


Out of the other ex-classmates she invited, only 4 of us made it. It was good to see the grrls again. Even though I haven't seen some of them for donkeys' years, it was amazing that we just picked up from where we last left. There's just something about being Assuntarians!


assuntarians unite!
(L-R): Pau Boon, Sook Ping, the pwetty bride, me & Kher Shin


The rest of the night was spent catching up with each other - we really had a lot to talk about. I wouldn't be surprised if the next time we meet up, it will be at another ex-classmate's wedding! I think we were one of the last few who remained till the end of the dinner. When we said our goodbyes, the caterers were already cleaning up the place and packing up their utensils.

Once again, congratulations to Mei Ching & Weng Chuan. May His excellent love envelope the rest of your married life together :)


floating tealights
Tealights floating amidst rose petals make great wedding decors

No comments: