Wednesday, November 21, 2007

chills in tokyo

Being sick is no fun. I think I have yet to fully adapt to this place, or this city. Or maybe I'm working too much from home.

It's been getting cold lately, and the only thing that can help increase the temperature is the air-conditioning unit which doubles up as a heater. But problem is, it's so dehydrating I have to switch it off every few hours, and put it on timer for 1 hour just before I sleep.

I was contemplating about getting a carpet so that my feet can walk around in comfort. I'm really thankful I have such a big room with so much walking space, but that means I have to go through more cold wooden floor to reach my things, as compared to back in my tiny dorm room where everything is within an arm+leg's reach.

So anyways, I was just having a chat with the landlord, and he was asking how I was settling down. I told him everything was fine, and I enjoy having such a beautiful room. He asked me further, and I just casually mentioned that I was thinking of getting a carpet or maybe heater so that it won't feel so cold.

Because my room faces the road, that side of the wall is almost fully windows. There's a lace curtain and a thicker one, but I think the large windows are partially why my room doesn't stay warm. Add to that, the poor insulation in old Japanese homes. And I have no choice but to bundle myself up or switch the air-cond on the whole time. But I try not to, because I work from home a lot, the bill will go up and I will end up being dehydrated.

So anyways, he said he will get a carpet for me. I had to politely ask him not to, to which he said, not to worry, and he will buy one for me and he even asked me what colour I would like! I regretted telling him about the carpet idea, and told him that the carpet wasn't decided yet, since it's not winter per se. So for the meantime, he loaned me his electric carpet instead. After being assured that he doesn't need it, I accepted it, but still not keen on using so much electricity especially since I won't be using the carpet much (other than to walk on).

Now I'm thinking, perhaps I'll just use that carpet at the moment, don't have to plug it in, but add a humidifier to my room. Which would you prefer - to die of dehydration or cold?? If I use the air-cond too much, I will be warm but my skin will dry up and that's how I got sick this week - dehydration. But if I don't use it, then it's too cold and I hate the cold.

Anyways, from the cold that I caught last weekend, it has upgraded itself to cough with phlegm today! Feeling quite miserable already. My only consolation is I get to stay and work at home. Need to keep gulping down water! If I'm already like this now, I wonder how I'm gonna survive winter here. -_-'

No comments: