Monday, November 12, 2007

therapeutic weekend


Just came back from Urasa, IUJ to be more specific. It has been a therapeutic weekend for me. Was my first time going back campus since graduating. They were having their annual Open Day, with this year being the 25th anniversary, so it was sorta grander.


Frankly, I think last year's Open Day was better since we had the booths and performance both in the gym. This year, because of local participation, they had to put the booths outside so some people had to miss part of the performances while some didn't manage to enjoy as much food as they wanted to.


But my reason for going back was to catch up with friends, and that I did. I even dressed up in traditional Laotian costume and helped out at their booth. And my Malaysian friends called me traitor. But I got a kick out of seeing people passing by, making 2nd glances and then only realising it's actually me.


The Associate Dean was surprised to see me there, and so were many other people. I think it wasn't just the costume or the hairstyle, but also the fact that I looked a bit different. Many commented that I lost weight. Most said I looked better and happier. How can I not be happier when I was back "home"? As soon as I stepped out of the station, I could immediately feel the difference - the fresh air and open spaces. Oh how much I missed those!


To see the colours of autumn was a welcome sight from the blaring lights of Tokyo. To feel the refreshing wind blowing against the face was respite from the cramped spaces and dullness of the city life. And I even managed to go to the hot springs too. Even though it was kinda impromptu, but we managed to round up 2 cars and head off to Koide for the nearest onsen. How I missed the hotsprings! Unfortunately, the effects of it wore off as soon as I came back to Tokyo.


A few thought I must've gotten richer to go back to campus. I say, it's the exact opposite. I still haven't gotten my salary, am living on my savings but it's because I don't mind spending for opportunities such as these. To ride on Mastercard's famous "priceless" ad : Bullet train + normal train tickets to & fro Urasa : Y6570 x 2, Cathing up with friends and being "home" again : Priceless!

No comments: