Monday, November 26, 2007

my labour day weekend


Had such an excellent weekend, not just because Friday was Labour Day making it a long weekend, but because I was in the company of friends again. We celebrated Kedar's birthday and were basically chilling out, eating, watching movies, catching up with one another again. It would have been better if the rest of the Ebiz grads could make it, but I guess they had family commitments to attend to. Unexpectedly, the birthday celebration spilled over from Friday to Saturday until each of us had to leave for our respective appointments.

Even did a little bit of shopping, not for frivolous luxuries but for something far more important. One that I would need everyday for the next few months and something that I would now call it my best purchase so far - a humidifier! Ya, I was looking around at classified sites, saw one really good one offered by this Australian family who were moving out of Japan and they were giving it away for free, with another purchase. But I decided to just get a brand new one, and Bic Camera was selling it at 53% discount too! This has really made a difference to the air in my room, and I no longer wake up feeling like I'm gonna have a sore throat or cold later.


Then on Saturday night, EeWei and I went through our maiden cross-cultural Bible Study together. It was just a spontaneous idea that she thought about some days back, and I thought why not? It would be a first for the both of us and good for the soul. It just made sense that since both of us had been through similar experiences and have been encouraging each other while being away from home, and should continue doing so that this did not come as a surprise. In fact, I readily agreed to it as I was not really belonging to any church or cell group and a Bible Study is nourishment no matter what one's circumstances is.

But when Bible study came to mind, the first thought that came along it was the last Bible study I tried to do with Irene some years back. We were also having some similar issues and thought something like a Bible study would help, and so decided to start off with something simple like the book of Esther. Maybe because it was so easy or we just weren't motivated, but we didn't continue long after that. To our credit, we made effort to match schedules and worked to get materials and did much substantial study and actually finished the book. But somehow we didn't continue on with another book!

I don't know why I agreed so easily to have this, doing it across the oceans might have been more difficult (and we had to choose a suitable time frame since we're like 9 hours apart!), and furthermore EeWei had to choose one of the hardest, if not hardest book in the Bible - Job. That also I didn't have objections - perhaps because both of us could relate to Job's struggles. I thought it would be a good challenge - doing it virtually and on such a book as Job.

She had some initial problems getting online and Skype up on her friend's laptop, but once that was solved, we immediately started off with prayers and went on to discussing about our thoughts and impressions. It was rough because this was new to us, and we lacked some sense of structure, but the whole thing lasted about 2 hours in all and we felt really good at what we have achieved. Much questions arose from our discussions and many thoughts to ponder till the next study. Speaking of which, next's my turn to lead! Need to look for materials and structure :p

No comments: