Sunday, January 27, 2008

how apt

Even though regarded as not as indepth by some, the ODB has been a true companion in my QT. During good times, the readings from ODB served as reminders of verses which I'm supposed to have memorised since I was a typical Sunday School-brought up kid. During bad times, they seem to have an uncanny knack of speaking right through my heart.

Not just once or twice, but I remember during my down time when I first came to Tokyo, a series of readings in that particular week felt like it was written just for me. Off and on thereafter, the verses were exactly what I needed for that particular situation.

Just like today. Usually I do my QT after washing up and before I go about my own routine. But today, I decided to journal my first thoughts of the day before I forget, and proceeded to do my QT. And the verses addressed the issues I wrote about, and spoke some assurance to my heart that God still is in control :

Psalms 37 [New International Version]
1 Do not fret because of evil men
or be envious of those who do wrong;

2 for like the grass they will soon wither,
like green plants they will soon die away.

3 Trust in the LORD and do good;
dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.

4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.


7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.

8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath;
do not fret—it leads only to evil.

9 For evil men will be cut off,
but those who hope in the LORD will inherit the land.

********************************************************************************

Today my dad called me, to see if I was alright. He said he had been trying to send me an SMS to my phone. No wonder the previous message about my granma didn't get through. I told him that the Japanese are so advanced they bypassed SMS and went straight to e-mails instead. This verse does not just apply to last week, but to past happenings months ago :

Philippians 3 [New International Version]
13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead,
14I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

No comments: