Tuesday, January 06, 2009

mixed bag

It's been a week since I came back to Tokyo. Time just flies by so fast. I left Tuesday close to midnight but didn't get proper sleep on the plane. Despite the fact that I secured myself seats across the middle aisle.


I was so excited when I saw that the row next to mine were not occupied, and had quickly went over because I had seen people looking so comfy sleeping on them when I was flying back from Brisbane. Unfortunately because the seats were curvy, it did not feel as comfy as I had thought!

Since I was half-awake, I decided to entertain myself by watching Mamma Mia the movie and some episodes of Ugly Betty.


Soon enough I started falling sleepy and decided to just cover myself with the blanket. My petite frame only took up about 3 of the seats since the shape of the seats made it really hard to stretch across as if I was on a proper bed.

I was quite wasted the next day trying to catch up on sleep. By the time I was fully recharged, it was already New Year's Eve and I found myself with Yuri, Hyun, Geoff and Junyoung at the Student Centre. We counted down to the New Year while eating New Year food, catching up and playing games until the wee hours of the morning.

Needless to say, the whole of last week saw me waking up at noon. I was also out and about meeting/hosting friends even till today. Which in turn, made it incredibly impossible for me to get back to my working routine this week. Ya, I have this habit of trying to stretch my holiday mood!

But I did manage to make some time to do my reflections and got some thinking done about how 2008 had been for me. Overall, it had been a mixed bag. The uncomfortable feeling of having to adapt to the stresses of Tokyo had spilled from the previous year into the 1st quarter. However, things started getting better from my birthday month onward. (Presents make things better!) As I ended my 1 year of surviving Tokyo, I had eventually grown to really like it here. Can't believe I actually said that.

However, with the pressure to deliver at work, compounded by the economic downturn, the stresses shot up again. I see 2009 being a mixed bag too. A different one in a few areas, I suspect. Can't really tell how, but I have a feeling that if I continue to stick by Him, I'll get out of this year better than if I were to go in thinking I could do it myself.

No comments: