Tuesday, February 07, 2006

balinese it is

Remember the spa voucher I received for my birthday last year? I finally found the perfect time to pamper myself - last Friday during the CNY break. I didn't have to take leave, neither did I have to rush back to work the next day and best of all, everyone was away so the roads were a breeze to drive on.


spa entrance
Step into a world of luxurious pampering


When I first brought my mum there for a treat, I immediately fell in love with the Sembunyi Spa. The landscape, location, ambience, lighting, the whole works! Even without going for the spa, I was feeling all relaxed already just being there.

For my own treat, I brought a friend along to share the experience. What better way to bond than a lazy afternoon spent in the recluses of a spa sanctuary away from the madness of the city.


spices for scrub
Spices for the body scrub, I think!


We started off with the gym which faced the tennis courts on one side and a man-made lake on the other. They had Balinese music on the whole time, but when the receptionist saw us going into the gym, she switched on the MTV assuming we'd work out better with hiphop music blaring in the background. Knowing that we could have that in any Fitness First centres, we promptly requested for Black Eyed Peas to shut up stop singing.


ginger oil
Ginger aromatherapy oil for blood circulation


After working out a sweat, I decided to jump into the pool while Shireen decided to open up her pores further in the sauna room. While we were busy enjoying the facilities, one of the masseuse came to tell us that our appointment for the massage was due.


sipping tea on a balmy afternoon
Sipping ginger tea on a balmy afternoon


We were led to separate rooms for our pampering session. They have individual beds for those seeking privacy and bigger rooms with a more romantic setting for couples. Each room is dimly lit and lightly scented, almost instantaneously putting one in the right mood for love.


lazing at the pool
Lazing at the poolside after a good massage


This was the only place I didn't take pictures. I immersed myself in the whole experience, allowing the woman's strong hands to work her magic on my sore muscles. Well, they weren't really sore, but they definitely felt stressed, judging from the way she concentrated on certain areas of my shoulders and back.


spa products on sale
Spa products you can buy and use at home


At the end of it I felt like jelly, soft and malleable. We were served with warm ginger tea and a dainty bowl of mango pudding with bits of pineapple in it. The ginger aromatherapy oil rubbed into the body Balinese style was just what I needed. I could still feel the heat from the massage.


looking all fresh & relaxed
Looking all fresh & rejuvenated


To complete the experience, we did a round of steam, jacuzzi and cold dip. The cold dip was so cold that I could have frozen myself into a popsicle. Shireen didn't even dare step inside the pool, but I forced my whole body and head inside the icy waters. My senses became numb, that was when I knew my pores had closed up.


floating hibiscus
One of the many floral decor at the Sembunyi Spa


It was a really luxurious experience, something I can only do once in a blue moon. Even though I had to top up a little from my own pocket, it was worth every sen. This place comes highly recommended and it's not surprising that it's touted as "Kuala Lumpur's Best Kept Secret".

No comments: