Saturday, January 28, 2006

relatively related

I think about it every now and then. Well, rarely actually. But these thoughts thump louder come Chinese New Year, especially during family reunions.

In between. Neither here nor there. Torn between both worlds. I am made up of both but not quite. You see the dilemma here? No? Let me explain.

My dad's side of the family are all Chinese-educated - the adults, the kids, everyone except for my brother and I. Most of them studied locally. When everyone come together for reunions, Mandarin and Cantonese are the dialects used. I know enough of either to order food and get me from one place to another. And oh, don't try to use profanities coz I understand 'em too.

The relatives on my mum's side mostly went overseas for their education. They're brought up on American TV and McDonald's. English is the main language, with smatterings of Cantonese. After all, we live in the Klang Valley and you'll have to know some of that to survive here.

It's very Chinese on my dad's side of the family. You can tell they're Chinese-ed, no offence, but yes, sometimes you really can tell! It's not unusual to find Chinese brush paintings, koi fishes swimming in aquariums and porcelain China bowls made in China when you visit their homes. Conversation is typically Oriental and polite.

On the other hand, aunts on my mum's side compare Wedgwood and Royal Doulton as easily as discussing the latest sales in town. From the clothes they wear, you can tell this side of the family had its Western influence or are well off enough to buy them. Partially because of this exposure, they're more outspoken and have no qualms about being brutally frank, if I may say so.

As for my brother and I, we were brought up in national schools but speak Mandarin at home with our parents. I enjoy mostly English songs but have recently begun to appreciate Chinese, Korean and Japanese songs. I tend to go for American movies while my brother is into Hongkie films. Our home is a mishmash of Asian furniture and decor from all over the world. Quite rojak, I'd say.

When reunion comes, I feel somewhat at a loss. At my dad's side, it really feels like a great get-together. Because he has 5 brothers and 4 sisters, it's huge when everyone comes back for the gatherings. It's easy to just sit back and enjoy the banter while everyone talks excitedly, trying to catch up with each other. But because I'm half-banana, I only manage to gather bit and pieces of their stories.

My mum's family is smaller, we just about manage to fit 2 tables. Even though that would mean closer ties, it's quite the contrary. Well, since my family had to move around due to my dad's job, we hardly came back except for reunions like these. Meeting some of my cousins are like meeting strangers, even if we do this every year.

So you see, I'm not quite this side of the family, neither am I fully the other side, like how the rest of them are. It's strange, I dunno how else to express this. To the person who quoted that blood is thicker than water, you haven't met my family yet!

No comments: