Tuesday, September 18, 2007

surrounded by the familiar

The thing about Gmail having bought over Blogger means that when you accidentally log out of the mail service, whatever you have typed in your blog will not be saved! I have just finished typing one nice post when I realise I had already switched accounts on Gmail and I've lost everything! Anyways...


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I woke up late today because I was up till about 3am+ trying to get my phone reactivated. I had already emailed Maxis before I left Japan but there was no reply. So when I got back home, I immediately called them up and asked them to reactivate for me. I even waited for 2 hours, as requested. But at 2am, and still not connection, I thought maybe I would have to go to the nearest Maxis center to check my SIM card. Being car-less would mean that I might not even get my phone reactivated for some time.

But I tried calling Maxis Customer Service again, and the guy on the other line said the lady I talked to earlier apparently did not do what she said she would. So he tried to reactivate for me, and by 3+ I was on Maxis again. And just before then, I also managed to get myself connected to the Internet. Even though it's not broadband or superspeed like Japan's, I'm not complaining!

My coming back this time feels quite different from the last. Being surrounded by familiar smells and sights give me the assurance that a lot of things remain the same. But knowing what has happened in this country of late saddens me, because it has the potential to become a lot better but is not.

I don't know why, but suddenly I realise the spaciousness in the house. It's as if for the first time I'm looking at how high the ceiling is, how roomy the rooms are and how big everything is. For those who've been to my house, you know it is no palace. But comparing to Tokyo's little huts, this is something I'm appreciating.

The spaces between houses in Tokyo, I think I would have to call it alleys, they're as small as 1 inch. Why don't they just stick to houses next to each other like terrace houses? What's the 1 inch when you can't even walk through it? But there's a 1 foot wall separating one house from the other, just to give it that little privacy.

I think I'm going to clean up my room a bit. Realise I have a lot of things that aren't worth keeping anymore. Maybe because I've been a nomad for the past week or so, living out of my luggage and having only the necessary by my side. That has taught me to prioritise and keep clutter out. In any case, being back feels really good. "Home sweet home" has never felt truer!

No comments: