Monday, September 03, 2007

transition period again

Am typing this from Kyoto's Toyoko Inn. We've just come back from a day trip to Kobe. My parents tasted Kobe Beef for the first time. Funny how they didn't have the same reaction as I did when I had my first bite.

Just one month ago I was in the Kansai area too, and went to almost the same places I'm bringing my parents. Many memories came back, especially of the fun times I had there. Same place, different people, surreal feeling.

So far so good, they liked where I've brought them. Tokyo was Odaiba, Disneyland, the Imperial Palace, Ginza and Roppongi. I told them that I will show the most glam and glittery and the traditional sides of Japan. So it was supposed to be the opposite in Kansai, and therefore, temples in Kyoto. But since they were not into temples and pagodas, I brought them down to Kobe instead. We took the City Loop Bus and had a ride to the Kobe Earthquake Memorial Park, Meriken Park, and Mosaic. Tomorrow will be Osaka, most likely the Osaka-jo.

I will be sending them off the day after. So many goodbyes these few days. When I left IUJ, my closest buddies in SD1 were there to send me off. We had a good dinner together with my parents the night before and played UNO till 3 and I still didn't want to leave if not for the fact that I still had not finished packing.

Then I had to say goodbye to Au when she left for HK for her exchange programme, and tomorrow Al will be leaving for Switzerland for his as well. And the day after that, I will be sending my parents off at the Kansai International and my new life here will begin.

The transition between IUJ and Tokyo has been a mixed bag of emotions. I still want to go back to campus as if I never graduated, but my nametags on the door and mailbox will not be there anymore. I also wish I can just go home and not think about working! In between, I still talk to my SD1 buddies, it really eases the pain somewhat.

Gosh, why is this turning to be a sad post. You know I hardly do that, I post up happy stuff to remind me of the good memories and keep the painful ones somewhere else. So I will stop here and go do my laundry :p Who knows when I'll have the chance to post again - I still have not gotten a place to stay!!

2 comments:

feichai said...

Life is such, we all go thru hi's and bye's and happy and sad moments. It's only human.

I assume by your post that you will be in Tokyo working. I wish u all the best in your new journey and may He be with u :)

§nóflèk said...

@feichai : hey! i was just going through some old posts and realised i somehow missed your message here. it's funny how i'm back here after some years! appreciate your kind thoughts :)