Thursday, February 24, 2005

my annual date with eve

It's always great meeting up with old friends. So much to catch up, so much to share, so much to bond over.

My annual catching up date with Eve C left me with a tinge of feel-good happiness. I call her my childhood best friend, coz we were each other's best friends in lower primary. We had this exercise book where we took turns to write stuff in. I can't remember much about the contents, but when I took it out while packing my boxes for shifting, I remember seeing hand-drawn pictures, little cute stickers and a list of things we wanted to have when we grew up. I might still have it around, if my papa hasn't gotten his hands on it yet!

So, there we were, 2 girls who haven't seen each other for a year, trying to catch up as much as possible over dinner. Our usual agenda would be to meet up over a weekend, have lunch, walk around, share stuff and exchange birthday presents. This was usually done in the beginning of the year since her birthday is in January and mine, 2 months later. This year was her final year in Med School, and yesterday was like the only day she could spare for our date!

We quickly picked up where we last left, and updated each other on things that revolved around our social and spiritual lives, our families & friends, along with our hopes & dreams. It was really encouraging to hear that even though we had walked separate paths after I shifted from KL, we still walked hand-in-hand with God. And it must've been God who binded us together even while I was away doing my degree course, and she trying to pursue her dreams of being a doctor.

We both agreed that last year, we kept in touch more often than before. It was a trying period for her and I tried to be as comforting a friend as I could. Since she was away in Seremban, we kept in touch through SMS' and emails. I'm pretty sure it can only be the love of God which carried us through this.

For someone who has lived all over the country all her life, it's heart-warming to have a friend who's been so loyal all these while. I've made countless number of friends in various states, and sometimes it's so hard to maintain contact with all of them. So for those that I still do, I treasure their friendship lots. :)

No comments: