Friday, January 13, 2006

protégé?

I was given the burden privilege of mentoring a young Christian who's just started attending our CG. She has that classic new Christian zeal in her, and hungers to learn more.

Was supposed to start her off on the New Journey Guide late last year, but she was busy shifting house. So we postponed it to last week. I couldn't make it, she developed a bump on her head and went for a brain scan to check it out.

I was just wondering what it takes to be a mentor. Our church doesn't emphasise on mentoring as much as some do. I've never really thought much about it until I got involved with i-Bridge and GCF.

After chatting with Ee Wei about her own experiences, I realised how advantageous it must be to have a mentor. She was relating on how she much she has grown during that period compared to before she had a mentor. And how her mentor gently nudged her in the right direction and gave her wise spiritual insights.

I can see how I could benefit from that kind of relationship. Off and on, I've been observing matured Christians in my own sphere. Pastors, church leaders, peers and even my own parents. But I didn't let them know I was quietly learning from them.

I pick up bits and pieces from each one. Each has their strength in various aspects. Sometimes I watch how they react to difficult situations, or listen to the words they say when they pray. Observe how they negotiate, counsel and teach.

At the same time, it has to be a two-way relationship. If I want to take in their good values and glean spiritual knowledge from them, I'd have to be willing to be corrected and rebuked as well. I may know I'm not walking on the right path, but too ego won't do anything about it. Sometimes it's better that someone else point it out and gently guide me back.

I don't think I've had a proper mentor before, so this will be a learning experience, both for me and her. Time to buck up and brush the dust off my Bible up on my foundations. What better way to grow, huh?

No comments: