Tuesday, January 24, 2006

roller grrls

The other day we had a signing of an MOU in the auditorium. My colleagues and I were roped in to be usherettes and "roller grrls*".


roller grrls


While waiting for the VIPs to arrive, we decided to hang around at the lounge area. As we were walking there, one of the staff who had arrived early walked towards us. He introduced himself as one of the branch managers.

He said I looked familiar. I was like, urh, I would have remembered a face like that. But anyways, he was telling us how professional we looked, in our suits and court shoes. He mentioned that he had a side business dealing with PR and events. He said we looked so much better than the usherettes he usually hired. It was obvious he was trying to get us to work freelance for him.

For the sake of passing time and not wanting to offend the manager, we stayed on and chit chat a bit. But after awhile we were running out of words to say and all I wanted to do was to sit down because my new shoes were killing me!

Another colleague came to our rescue when she interrupted the conversation and asked us to help her with the media. The manager tried to introduce himself to her, but she was so harried that she only said hi.

While I was sitting in the auditorium waiting for the rest to come down, he came again and tried to make small talk. I pretended to show interest by asking if his freelancers only worked weekends. I was half thinking of earning extra money by looking pwetty and ushering people, but I had a funny feeling that something was not quite right.

One colleague said the offer sounded tempting. Here we are doing events after office hours and during weekends and not getting paid for it. The money could come in handy to buy better clothes. The other colleague said he looked like he was hitting on me. I'd like to think that I was merely doing my job as a communications executive ;)

In any case, I'd better trust my instincts and not take this seriously.


*roller grrls are those whose task is to roll the blotter thingy (is there a specific name for this??) over signatures to prevent them from smearing.

No comments: