Sunday, July 02, 2006

culture workshop - 25 jun 2006

I signed up for a cultural workshop organised by the Niigata International Friendship Center last weekend. With 7 aspects of the Japanese culture on offer, I thought what better way to have a glimpse of them than to go for this workshop.





The karate class was my first, we were given a mini lesson on what karate was, and some introduction into kihon (basic motion), kata (forms or patterns) and kumite (sparring). Since I took up a bit of taekwondo back uni, I was able to appreciate karate better. There was an instance where the instructor asked us to empty our mind of any thoughts. Knowing how spiritually risky that would be, I refrained from doing so, but instead prayed for wisdom.







Next was the tea ceremony. I've heard so much about the Japanese tea ceremony and was glad I understood some of the rites surrounding it. For example, it's usually held to commemorate a special ocassion, and the room will be decorated with Japanese calligraphy and and arrangement of ikebana. I learnt also to torture my legs sit properly while appreciating the porcelain ware that is used for the tea.





After seeing some of the participants strutting around in their yukata (summer kimono), I decided I too want to enjoy the rest of the workshop in my own kimono too. I was delighted to find that I could even take back my yukata. Wearing the yukata itself ain't that difficult, but tying the obi (sash) can be quite a feat since it's thick. We were asked to do it ourselves with some help from the instructor, I hope I can still remember how to wear my own kimono later!







I went upstairs for the next workshop - chigiri-e, the art of making a collage out of torn paper. Washi, Japanese handmade paper is used for this craft, which resembles a painting from a far. Each shape is carefully traced and torn, and then pasted to create the collage. This art is unique since the handmade paper used is far more expensive and durable than machine made paper, and requires high skill to make. So mnuch so that the Japanese handmade paper craftsmen are designated as the nation's human treasure.





My last workshop was calligraphy. Wished I had more time to also go for ikebana and soba making but I had church service that evening. I only managed to do the kanji for yume (dream), painted them on 2 postcards to bring back as souvenirs. Although we were introduced to calligraphy in class, I learnt abit more on how to perfect my strokes. I wonder if me being a lefthander has some bearing to how the strokes come out.

Overall, it was an educational workshop, am beginning to get a taste of the different facets of the Japanese culture and the concepts behind some rituals. Moreover, I only paid Y500 for everything. Yasui ne!

No comments: