Friday, July 07, 2006

melancholy

Even though our scholarship states that we have to do a 6-month intensive language course, the actual fact is we're only learning Japanese for about 5 months or so. We started classes in April, but will be having our last few lessons next month.

With that, we have a few farewells too. I will be leaving this place to start my Masters course in Urasa, a much smaller town than Niigata-shi. It's so small I should call it a village. But it's probably one of the few villages that the shinkansen (bullet train) stops at.



I've grown close to the guys at church, we've had lots of fun and I wonder whether I'll be able to find a similar kind of fellowship in Urasa. It was already so difficult for me to find a suitable church here at first, whatwith the JW fiasco in the beginning. It did make for a good story to share to folks at home though. :D

Poypoy, one of the Filipino guys from church will be going back to Mindanao 30th this month. Barely 2 days before that, Becca, the American pastor's daughter is scheduled to fly to the States to start her undergrad studies in medicine. Emiko, who's been with the Doulous around the world is preparing for her next phase in life in Korea where she will be working with OM.



My life is so full of goodbyes. Because of my father's job with the government, we have had to uproot the family and settle down in a different state every few years. I used to hate it because of all the farewells and starting all over again. But on hindsight, I'm glad I went through all that. Because of all the different cultures I had to accustom myself to, I'm able to better relate to people and appreciate the colourful facets of each culture.

Goodbyes are inevitable in life. I thought with each goodbye, I'd get more immune. But to make myself invulnerable, I'd have to harden my heart and pretend it wasn't so painful. Mmm, I think I'd rather just live life as it is, with all the pains and joys.

No comments: