Tuesday, October 17, 2006

elected into the council

I'm still alive from last weekend's mental torture Accts & Finance class. In a way, I'm glad we got that over with. We're almost done with this particular subject, the only thing left is our group assignment. Sounds straightforward enough - read an assigned company's annual report and describe main business, financial performance, potential intengibles, and those things that I usually don't bother reading other important corporate facts.

We had our GSO (Graduate Students' Organisation) election yesterday during lunch time. I initially thought of running for that, but after considering that I might end up working with certain obnoxious individuals it would take up too much of my time, I decided not to. The whole setup sounded glam enough for so many people to nominate themselves in.

At the same time, I was also contemplating on contesting for the IM (International Management) council. This was more academically inclined since this body dealt mainly with subjects, scheduling, seminars and all things scholastic. Only 2 positions from the MBA school and Ebiz school each were opened for candidacy.

I almost gave up thinking about it when I was struggling to understand in the midst of the Acct class. I didn't even meet the deadline actually. But an email from the former president at the very last minute spurred me to submit my name.

Lo and behold, there were only 2 of us from Ebiz. Even though we could've won by default, but they maintained that if and only if we obtained more than 50% of the votes, would we win the posts. I gave a roughly sketched short speech, not promising anything, but urging my voters (*cough) to work alongside with me to make their student life a fantabulous one.

I wouldn't have minded if I didn't win, but since I'm up in the Council (woohoo!), I guess I shall have to make do with better time management and hope not to die before the end of this year itself! Ganbarou yo!

No comments: