Wednesday, November 17, 2004

the retreat that was

Monday seemed like the shortest day of the week. It was the last day of the i-bridge retreat. It was time to say goodbye to all the campers. Most of us were picked by Elaine went up to the front to share our testimonies and how we were blessed by the sessions.

I couldn't remember much of what happened throughout the 3 days, I was busy running around. But some of the things which stuck were the sessions on work ethics, transforming the workplace through our relationship, and burn out vs. rust out.

When I signed up for the camp, I didn't indicate which group I wanted to join. My friend asked me to join him in the 1st group, because he wanted to feel "young". But if the topics were going to be the same as last year's retreat, I might as well join the older group. After all, I just touched my 3rd working year. Time to grow up and take solid stuff.

Most, I should say, the rest of my group members had many years of experience compared to me. I felt like the youngest, and was really glad they had these insights from their working life. I was so impressed by their testimonies I forgot what I wanted to share sometimes. Some had people working under them, some had to juggle many ministries that their weekends were busier than their weekdays, and a few were coming back to church to serve again.

But what was clear was that, I was not alone in this journey. Though we had different experiences after graduating, we were comforted by the fact that God is still there for us. He may seemed like so far away, not listening to our prayers or our complains. But on hindsight, He was in control. He allowed challenges to mould us, obstacles to build us, and difficulties to shape us.

When I was a teenager, I thought I'd have my life figured out when I reached 21. At a quarter of a century old, I still do not know what I want to do with the rest of my life! So when I graduated, I had all these grand plans in my head. All waiting to be materialised. Career, ministries, relationships, dreams.

After 3 years, I sorta had an idea where God was leading me. Well, I can't see the end of the journey yet. He's only lighting the path one step at a time. I still have those ambitious dreams I wanna achieve. I don't know whether I will have a chance to do all of them. I'm beginning to think that He might have something else in store for me. Something grander than what I can imagine at the moment.

Well, the retreat was really refreshing. As we shared, I felt like I was back in CF again. All these people with their struggles and weaknesses. These were real people with hopes and dreams too. I'm sure they wanted to do big things in their life. Do big things for God.

And once again, I just sit back and enjoy their stories. Knowing that God is in control. He doesn't allow things to happen just because he felt like giving sunshine to some, and rain to others. Nor is he a sadistic God who enjoys watching us suffer.

I want to believe that He brought us all together for a reason. That whatever happened in the grander scheme of things, even if I don't understand the why's and what if's, He had a reason for those as well. And for that, I'm a little comforted.

No comments: