Monday, April 11, 2005

the oily roach

One of my favourite insects is the cockroach.

It never fails to amaze me how it can survive for so long, and scientists have claimed they even lived through the dinosaur age (correct me if I'm wrong!).

My heart skips a beat when I see a cockroach scurrying across the hallway or zipping by from one wall to another.

I have this love-hate relationship with the roach. I hate it because it's so vile and disgusting. You don't wanna know where it's been, but you know they aren't the most hygienic places on earth. I only love it when I (manage to successfully) whack it half dead and cut its feelers bit by bit.

Other than that, we have a mutual relationship. It bugs me by spreading germs all around the house, while I try my best to conquer my fear by killing them.

So last night, I was in the kitchen washing up the dishes when I noticed a certain flying object moving about among the bottles of sauces. I immediately recognised my favourite insect.

There was no way I could whack it while it was hiding among the bottles. Neither did I want to risk being charged of homicide should I start spraying insecticide in the kitchen area and lace everyone's food with additives.

I decided to leave it alone, for once. But not for long. I returned to the kitchen after that, and discovered to my surprise, the cockroach perched precariously at the edge of the sauce bowl, sipping oil!

Goodness, since when did cockroaches drink oil?! From the looks of it, it seemed like it was enjoying itself, gulping without a care in the world. I could almost see the oil level going down.

Then I had this brilliant idea. Sneak up on the cockroach and try to cover it with a plate, in the hopes that it would drown in the oil. Then throw the whole thing out altogether, and see my cockroach no more.

Just as I was about to drop the plate onto the bowl, the roach sensed my movement, got startled and quickly made an exit. Before I could do anything, the lights went off. It was a blackout, at the most unexpected time.

Damnit, the cockroach got away this time. Leaving a trail of oil for me to clean up.

I hope it dies of high cholesterol... heart attack... whatever!

No comments: