Friday, April 29, 2005

thy word

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light for my path.
- Psalm 119:105


You know how that verse speaks of God guiding us one step at a time? How He will only light up the few steps in front of us, and not turn on the floodlights and brighten the whole area? Like how He will only reveal certain things to us, and not tell us how our life will be lived the next 20 years?

When I was climbing one of those many ridges on Melawati Hill, the slope was so steep that I could only allow myself to see a few feet from where I was. I feared that if I looked at the whole path, I'd get frightened by the sheerness of it.

I'll have to admit, there's this bit of fear of heights in me. Everytime I do abseiling, wall climbing or even flying fox, it scares the wits out of me just to look down and see how far I've gone. And because of this, I dare myself to conquer my fear, again and again.

Mountain climbing ain't so difficult, coz it's gradual. You can't see the height so much as abseiling, where one step away is many many feet down to ground. So everytime I come down in a whoosh, it's an adrenaline rush to the head. I feel exhilarated that I've managed to do it, yet again. And that's what keeps me going for the next one.

So it was up in Melawati Hill that I was reminded again of how He will still hold my hand and lead me, one step at a time. Even though I can't see what lies ahead, it's comforting to know that His grip will keep me close to Him. And as long as He's beside me, there is nothing that we can't go through together.


Thy Word

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet,
And a light unto my path.
Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet,
And a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid, think I've lost my way,
Still, You're there right beside me.
And nothing will I fear, as long as You are near,
Please be near me to the end.

No comments: