Wednesday, October 24, 2007

the housemates i have

When staying in a guesthouse together with about 9 others, you are bound to have to share the kitchen and dining table together with the rest at some point or another. The one that I'm staying at, well, most of them cook, some of them buy off food from the convenience store. So there are times where I will be sharing cooking/eating space with them.

I've realised there were many times when the person who's already sitting at the table leaves without wiping off the crumbs that his/her mouth didn't quite catch. Or the person who cooked just never bothered to wash the pot but leaves the remaining food in there with the spatula and all. So when the next person comes to the kitchen, wanting to either cook his/her food or sit down at the table while I am there, he/she will see the mess and leftover. And think I did it.

Example : During my 1st week here, I tried to cook my 1st meal. The grrl before me had just finished eating and was washing her utensils. As she tried to do so, she complained that the previous person had clogged up the sink and did not bother to throw away the leftover into the rubbish bin. So in her upset mode, she took a knife and started digging out the food which was the source of the problem to allow the water to run.

I was already eating when she was doing this, and did not bother to see what treasure she had dug up since I did not want it to spoil my appetite. After mumbling to herself (and probably to me) about how dirty some people where, she left and went back to her room.

So while I was happily savouring my 1st meal, some other grrls from my floor came and wanted to cook as well. They took one look at the sink and the first question they asked me was if someone had puked in the kitchen sink. Maybe out of politeness, but I'm not surprised if they thought I had something to do with it!

No comments: