Thursday, October 11, 2007

to move or not to move (again)

I'm in the middle of my 2nd week at work, and things have been going on quite well, I must say. Work is still challenging, and the boss is picking on my brains. But at least, I'm being productive and I like what I'm doing. So no complains there. The only thing is getting used to the working hours and working from home thingy.

I just visited this place an acquaintance told me about yesterday. He lived there for about a year before moving out because he just got married. He was really pushing the place to me, so much so I'm beginning to suspect he gets commission for it. But it really is a nicer place than where I am staying now.

The guest house here has too many people and they all go in and out so much because it's only for short-term stay. I've heard of stories and I myself have heard of *ahem* things going on, and needless to say, it's better to move out. True that this place is really convenient because of its location and there's many places to eat within walking distance, I even tried out the Tokyo Gymnasium the other day and they have a swimming pool, and it's on the Yamanote line.

The place I saw last night is a house owned by a shy but helpful retired Japanese guy who rents out his place only to foreigners. He only wants to speak English, and he's even renovated his place to accommodate us; like the Y2,000,000 to lower his ground floor so that tall angmoh's don't have to hit their head! The room that I will be renting (should I take it up) is more than twice of this current place, is cheaper and has its own toilet, sink, fridge and TV.

It's so comfy that I got a warm feeling when I first stepped into the room because it's the biggest room in the house and my friend says I can be the queen of the house! But queen or not, this place is about slightly further compared to my current place, to the office. It's not on the Yamanote loop, but more central Tokyo and suburb at the same time.

Plus since the landlord is living in the house, he makes sure everything is clean and in order. Meaning the bathroom will always be clean, the laundry is free and toiletries will be refilled. Whereas, this guest house is dodgy, dirty and potentially dangerous. I have to share the bathroom with like 10 other people, some don't bother to wipe the table after eating, and the dryer doesn't even dry properly even though I've put in Y300. And he also kindly offered to shift my things over with his truck.

When I first told my colleague about my checking out Edogawabashi, he told me there's nothing there. Which is true, coz it's suburb. But later we found out that one of the tenants is his friend. And he changed his stand and encouraged me to go for it! Apparently his friend is a really nice guy and is superb in Japanese and I would enjoy staying there. For a moment there, it sounded like he was promoting the guy, and not the house. -_-

I still have a few days to think about this, since I have to stay in this guest house for at least 1 month, and give notice at least 3 weeks should I decide to move out. Decisions, decisions...

No comments: