Tuesday, May 03, 2005

dancing the night away

It sucks when you have to work at night. On a Sunday. Make that a public holiday. Till the next morning.

When I tell people I'll be involved in our chairman's father's birthday bash in that posh hotel next to KLCC, they envy me. Said I'm happening.

I wish I was that happening. If I was in the invitation list, yeah, that would be quite happening. Everyone who's anyone in the country was invited to the party. Royalties, celebrities, politicians and ambassadors. You name it, the who's who of Malaysia was in town for an all night of merrying and drinking.

For a prestigious event such as this, the datins came dressed up. If I had a digicam with me, I'd show you they can rival those of the Oscar's. Designer gowns of the finest material, plunging necklines to reveal an ample bosom, matching glittering jewellery, coifed hair of various shades, bareback dresses and stilletoes high enough to break your back.

In the midst of helping guests find their tables and registering their gifts, I had the opportunity to ogle at what money can buy. I started to wonder what kind of a lifestyle they really led. Beneath the hugs and smooches and "Oooo, I love your hair, it looks like a beehive stuck with some hay. So couture!", was it really all merry and bliss?

Most of the guests were really pleasant, said thank you and were genuinely relieved when they found their table. There were the odd ones who looked aghast that they were not allocated a numbered table. One was a particular PR queen who kept leaning towards me as she insisted that she had already RSVP-ed earlier. Since she was wearing a low-cut floral dress, it only confirmed my suspicion that hers were original :p

With everyone asking questions and the chairman making last minute changes to the table arrangements, tension was rising. So much so that my aunty came unexpectedly. I wasn't prepared for it, and had to dash off to the ladies' to see the damage done. The cleaner lady was really sweet, and offered to fold up tissues for me.

It was too late to run off to KLCC, and the convenience store at the hotel was already closed. Since tissues aren't exactly the real thing, the running around didn't help, and soon I was ... let me spare you the details, let's just say it wasn't a scene I'd like to discuss here. I just wished the day would end soon.

Soon came at about 2am. They were serving nasi lemak for supper to guests who were still dancing at that hour. With no food for us the whole night, nasi lemak suddenly seemed like the best food ever. But we were too tired to eat much. Still, they say the Kampung Baru nasi lemak is one of the best in the city.

My heart was practically leaping with joy when our boss told us we could leave. By the time I got home it was almost 4am. Needless to say, I slept the morning away and woke up at about 12 for breakfast. With the heat and a throbbing headache, it really felt like a hangover. I cannot do this anymore. If I had at least drunk, the hangover would have been worth it, no?

No comments: